Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mont Helena, Rolling Fork, Mississippi

Photo by Marty Kittrell

Mont Helena
Last Home of Helen Johnstone Harris
Located between Anguilla and Rollng Fork, Mississippi


Built on top of a ceremonial Indian mound, Mont Helena is more than a house or a building:  it is the legacy of Helen Johnstone Harris. Also known as "The Bride of Annandale," Helen Johnstone and her husband, George Harris, an Episcopal minister, built the house to be their retirement home.  Located near Rolling Fork, Mississippi, and situated in the heart of the Mississippi Delta, Mont Helena is a beautiful example of Colonial Revival architecture.  Click here to read more about Helen Johnstone and George Harris and the history of their last home, Mont Helena.

2 comments:

  1. my name is donna barringer formerly bishop. i am the daughter of frank bishop of rolling fork ms.so many times my family drove down that old highway and saw that house on the hill. my grandparents were john and lora noble of anguilla ms. remember the old water tower? john and lora lived next to it. donutdonna@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember as a kid walking with my friends late nights and we could here strange screens and knocks just from road on top of that my house was right down the road for this home me and all my friends knew their was something there .

    ReplyDelete