Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Joseph Arthur Branch - My Second Great-Grandfather

Over the recent Memorial Day holiday weekend, we visited with a couple of my Branch cousins who live in Greenwood, Mississippi. During that visit, my cousins put me in touch with Jim Branch, another cousin, who lives near Birmingham, AL. As it turns out, Jim is the family historian for the line of the Branch family that begins with Edward Tillman Branch, II, who died in 1902. Jim was kind enough to send me a scanned copy of the photo of his "Uncle Joe," as the photo itself states. Uncle Joe was Joseph Arthur Branch, Edward Tillman Branch II's brother, Jim's great uncle, and my second great-grandfather. Joseph Arthur Branch and his wife, Mattie, had one son, Edward Arthur Branch, who died when my grandfather, Clark Commander Branch was only 15 years old. According to stories my grandfather told me, Joseph Arthur Branch was blind and lived with his son's family in his old age. Written near the top of this photo is the word "blind." The fact that Great-great-grandfather Branch was blind may explain why he was photographed from the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment