Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia - A Life in Poems"

Earlier this year, I posted a review of "Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia - A Life in Poems," by Mississippi writer, Patricia Neely-Dorsey. One of Ms. Neely-Dorsey's poems, "Southern Life," invokes so many memories of my home state of Mississippi. Since the poem is one of my favorites, I decided to share it here today with my readers.

SOUTHERN LIFE

If you want a glimpse of Southern life,
Come close and walk with me;
I'll tell you all the simple things,
That you are sure to see.
You'll see mockingbirds and bumblebees,
Magnolia blossoms and dogwood trees,
Caterpillars on the step,
Wooden porches cleanly swept;
Watermelons on the vine,
Strong majestic Georgia pines;
Rocking chairs and front yard swings,
Junebugs flying on a string;
Turnip greens and hot cornbread,
Coleslaw and barbecue;
Fried okra, fried corn, fried green tomatoes,
Fried pies and pickles too.
There's ice cold tea that's syrupy sweet,
And cool, green grass beneath your feet;
Catfish nipping in the lake,
And fresh young boys on the make.
You'll see all these things
And much, much more,
In a way of life that I adore.

By Patricia Neely-Dorsey

For more about Ms. Neely-Dorsey, please visit her website at http://patricianeelydorsey.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment