Copyright © Janice Tracy, Mississippi Memories

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Uriah Conner and His Descendants

Remember how I wrote in a post published earlier this week about how wonderful my readers are? You may recall that I also mentioned in that post about how a descendant of Colonel James Drane contacted me and provided detailed family information and photos that enabled me to write a post about the Drane family.

Well, today, I have a similar story to tell.

Several weeks ago, a reader of my blog who lives in Houston, Texas, discovered a post I had written months ago about the Conner Cemetery in Attala County, Mississippi. This particular cemetery is now marked by a Mississippi historical marker. The reader is a descendant of the Conner Family, and she sent photos and some amazing family information about her ancestors who lived in the Attala County area. One of the photos attached to her email was that of Uriah Conner, Jr. and his son, John Lewis Conner.

John Lewis Conner (left in photo), b. Dec. 28, 1825
Uriah Conner, Jr. (right in photo), b. March 2, 1783

(Photo courtesy of Jane Swanson)

According to the readers' facts obtained from Conner family documents, Uriah Conner, Jr. and his family settled in Mississippi in the early 1800s. Uriah Conner, Jr. was born on March 2, 1783 in North Carolina, the son of Uriah Conner and Margaret Johnston Conner. John Lewis Conner, who appears with his father in the photo shown here, was the son of Uriah Conner, Jr. and his wife, Rebecca Chappalear Conner. John was born on December 28, 1825 in Pickens County, Alabama.

Watch for additional posts with more details about the Conner family in Mississippi, a family that like so many others, migrated westward to occupy lands in newly formed counties that had once been part of the Choctaw Nation. I hope you will join me to read more about these early Mississippi settlers.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was researching my family tree when I had ran across the reference to Uriah Conner having a land grant in South Carolina, which was later sold to my 5th G-grandfather. Because we were at at brick wall dead-end, I decided to work backwards from the "Uriah Conner" land grant to other owners of the property in hopes of finding information that would unlock the impasse. I really enjoyed looking at the photo you posted of Uriah Jr and his son, John Lewis.Thanks for taking the time to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this photo is the exact same one I have in a Conner Family book at my home. The Conner Family settled and had land in Winston County, Mississippi. John Lewis Conner served in the 35th Mississippi Infantry, Company D during the War Between the States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i TOO WORK ON THE CONNER LINE
    MY LINK IS BOLEY CONNER OF ATTALA COUNTY HAD A DAUGHTER REBECCA WHO MARRIED JOESPH MORGAN WEATHERLY THEIR DAUGHTER SALLY KATE WAS MY GRANDMOTHER.

    JAMES CAMPBELL OF LONGVIEW TX 903-297-9111

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that folks keep looking, finding, sharing and posting information such as this. Boley & Ann Lunsford Conner were my 3rd Great-Grandparents, their daughter Julia Purnall Conner-McAfee & Sam McAfee were my 2nd Great-Grandparents. Fascinating to me to find so many wonderful links to my family! Thanks so much to everyone involved in sharing this information. Cheers, Lisa McAfee Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the information! Uriah was my 3rd great grandfather as well! His son Ben was the father of my great grandmother, Viola. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete